1. Brahmas are considered a large breed dual purpose chicken. Rooster weigh in about 12lbs and the hens 9lbs. They come in three recognized colors Light, Dark, and Buff. They are gentle giants with wonderful feathered feet. They lay all winter unlike so many other breeds, you will get 3-5 large brown eggs a week. I have found the roosters to be gentle, tame, and sweet.
2. Australorps this large heritage breed is also a great dual purpose bird. They lay wonderful large light brown eggs. You can expect to get eggs all winter from these girls as well. The average egg production from these ladies is 4-6 eggs weekly.
3. Plymouth Rocks are an amazing dual breed, known for having tasty meat and large brown eggs. The Plymouth Rock's come in seven recognized colors Barred, Blue, Buff, Columbian, Partridge, Silver-penciled and White. I find them to be docile, but a little skittish, other than my rooster who is extremely affectionate.
4. Wyandottes raised for both meat and great egg production, coming in a bit smaller than my top three. They appear in many colors, the most popular being Gold Laced, Silver Laced, and Blue Laced. Wyandottes often can be seen used as show birds thanks to their gorgeous markings.
5. Orpingtons also a wonderful hardy dual purpose breed. They are know for being broody and making great moms. They are often found in the show market as well. Orpingtons produce medium to large light brown eggs 3-4 a week. Black, White, Blue, Splash, and Buff are the most common colors you find.