I have tried so many different brands and types as well as homemade. I find them all to be a huge pain in my butt. Let me start with my least favorite and work down.
6. Metal ones my biggest problem with these they always seem to rust or corrode. They also are just a pain to get on right without leaking.
5. Five gallon bucket systems are constantly covered in poo from the chickens sleeping on them.
4. Cup nipples they freeze solid in the winter and tend to leak often.
3. Bottom fillers well the biggest problem I have with these are they are a pain to fill in the winter. The last thing you want to do when its cold is to get wet. Yet with these I always seem to get wet. They are slippery and I have even dropped and broke them.
2. The regular nipple systems in PVC work well for summer, but not so great in the winter. They seem to always leak a bit well.
1. Top fill poly plastic these work great no mess when changing the water, extremely durable, and super easy to clean. As well as you can use a particular brand one on their heated metal base in the winter. Which solves the heat dilemma as well.
The perfect system in my eyes would be a top fill poly plastic that had a built in heater that has a tuck away cord for the summer. Still waiting for someone to make and market it.
* I will have more information on this brand shortly*
Author: Carrie Miller